Sunday, March 11, 2018

Happy 2 Year Diaversary

"Being diagnosed with diabetes isn't something to celebrate, but the hard work, perseverance and bravery you have shown throughout your journey definitely is."  

Two years ago I sat in a doctors office with Trey hearing the words "Trey has Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes."  It is a day I won't ever forget.  I remember calling the doctors office at 8:02am that morning asking for a diabetes test; I remember looking at Trey sitting on the couch looking exhausted and not wanting to eat breakfast; I remember the nurse squinting her eyes at me when she asked why I wanted him tested for diabetes; I remember the look on Dr Biegler's face when he came in the room after getting the urine results; I remember holding Trey down on the table in the lab as they drew blood from his arm as I reassured him he was so brave and strong; I remember holding Trey on my lap when Dr Biegler came in the room for the second time and him saying "I don't like this ..." and how he wiped his eyes when he said the dreadful words to me.  I remember looking at Trey and with tears in my eyes, I gave him my bravest smile and then texted Jordan to please come to the doctors office. It wasn't a shock for me, but it still hurt.  Like I often do in tough situations, I pull up my big girl panties and forge ahead to get business done and then when no one is looking, I let it all out and have the breakdown.

Two years has felt both like two days and yet 20 years all at the same time.  When I was talking to Trey about his upcoming 2 year diaversary, I asked him if it has felt like he's had T1 for a long time or no.  He said, "Like 1,000 days yeah."

I look at how far he (and we!) has come in two years.  How at the beginning of this journey, we didn't know what foods to buy, how to adjust insulin, what a CGM was, etc.  We have learned so much, and we continue to learn it.  Trey has always been great at his site changes and about foods, but he's becoming so much more aware of how his body feels when he is low or high.  He really has become more independent and more responsible about his care.  During school hours, he watches the clock and knows when it's time to check his sugar.  He knows to check carb counts on the classroom snack to see if it is within his range, and if not, he picks from his own bucket.  When he has school lunch, he knows to ask for things "without the bun please" and that by just looking at a banana, his blood sugar rises (ok, so that's not quite accurate but bananas are a major No-No for him).

I look at the last two years and see all the people we have met because of Type 1.  I look at the money we (YOU!) have raised for JDRF to help find a cure.  I see the people who we have helped in one way or another because of us speaking up about T1D.  I think of Trey Bagwell who will forever be in our hearts for all he did and I know him being in Aberdeen was for us - not for the Wings.  I see the members on T1D Trey's Facebook page and realize how many people we have educated on the facts of T1D.  I smile when I remember the newspaper wanting to interview him and help spread awareness. We are making a difference and that is something I am beyond proud of.  Our work isn't done though.

Trey has an Instagram page with photos of his Dexcom numbers and other things.  Today I received a message from a family in Pennsylvania who wanted to thank Trey for posting pictures because her 6 year old T1 daughter wanted to try the Dexcom after seeing Trey's photos.  The mother and I began a conversation on T1D and she told me she never thought someone in South Dakota would be the person she and her daughter needed, but we were and they found Trey's page so inspiring.  The little girl asked her mom if her and Trey could have a play-date and be friends.  I sobbed ... I'm so happy that because of something as simple as photos of Trey's life with T1D, he touched another family and now their daughter is willing to wear a Dexcom.

Trey Thomas, I am so proud of you for how you handle your disease.  You are so strong and brave and you are a terrific advocate for those living with T1D.  How you've learned to listen to your body is something I am most proud of.  I love that you explain your finger pokes to those who watch and ask questions.  I love that you know carb counts on foods and how you know what are good/bad choices depending on your blood sugar.  It makes me smile to know how many lives you've touched and how many others you've helped out just by being open and honest about the disease.  It warms my heart that you, like me, get upset when we hear of a new T1 diagnoses and that you say "We need to help them."

Happy 2 year Diaversary, buddy.  Today we celebrate another year of life of living with T1, how far you have come, how much stronger you are and your bravery. "Throughout your diabetes journey, I have seen you grow stronger and deal with things no one even knew you were capable of.  Being diagnosed with diabetes is an overwhelming experience, and living with it requires hard work, resilience, persistence and courage.  That is something to be so, so proud of. Today, we do not celebrate the highs and lows, but rather the strength you have shown by dealing with them all day, every day."  (not written by me, but so fitting)

730 Days
6,932 Finger Pokes (average)
17 Vials of insulin
7 Pen vials of insulin
99 CGM site changes
70 pump site changes
100s of manual injections prior to pump
1 kick-ass little boy

No comments:

Post a Comment