We are on week three of Summer Vacation and I wish tomorrow was August 22nd so the kids can go back to school! There's something to be said of staying home with your kids all day long. On top of me working, I'm also mom and sometimes the combo of them sucks! I have a list of chores for each child to do along with a daily chart that says what they should be doing at different times of the day so they aren't watching 10 hours of TV or spending 5 hours on the iPad/kindle. That chart works about 70% of the time and the other 30% I'm either a bitch or I just flat out don't care by that time. Depends.
Summer also means weather change. As you know, South Dakota is already looking at temps in the 90's and we even hit 100 last week. YUCK!! That's just too damn hot already! While most people send their kid to the local swimming pool or have them run through sprinklers in the yard to cool down - it's not that easy with T1.
T1 complicates everything. EVERYTHING.
Last week Trey had numbers around 150. He went outside for 45 minutes and ran through the sprinkler and when he came in he was over 300. So you give a correction dose of insulin to get him down and then wait to see what happens. You guessed it ... He dropped and he dropped fast. Thankfully he was home so I could keep an eye on it and do what needed to be done before we were looking for Glucagon.
Don't get me wrong - any time of the year can be hard for whatever reason. But the summertime really sucks. You want them to be able to be outside and be active. You want them to be able to go hang with a buddy for the afternoon to get them out of your hair. You want to be able to drop them off at the pool and say "See ya in an hour!" T1 .... That damn thing called T1.
Trey started golf lessons a couple weeks ago. It's for an hour every Satruday until the end of June. He really enjoys it, but this last week he asked his dad to not follow him around the course - to just stay over with the other parents and watch from afar. I don't know what Jordan's reaction or thoughts were on this, but it really made me sad. The reason Jordan follows him from station to station is to keep an eye on Trey's sugar. The first week the CGM popped out and fell on the ground so we didn't know what sugars were, but this last week he was running on the lower end, was dressed too warm and it was 90* outside already so we had to keep a close eye on him. I don't know if a kid asked Trey why his dad was there or if it was just Trey on his own - but obviously he wanted to be a 'normal' kid and not have mom/dad watch every move. I sense this is going to happen more and more and while I respect him ... It's going to be hard to let go.
We had another first. Something I have said forever that I knew would happen - I was just hoping it woudln't be this soon. But then I stop and think that we have been at this for a year, he is growing, he is 6 and he is smart. He snuck food. Candy, none-the-less. UGH. We don't really have candy in the house anymore but Jordan picked up a bag of licorice at the store and had been munching on it. I'm doing that thing called working and Trey buzzes. He comes down and I smell his breath as he talks to me and I ask, "Were you eating something?" He swears he wasn't. I kept asking questions and it didn't take me long to know that in fact, he DID eat licorice and he WAS lying to me so I played along a bit. I hope he is always a bad liar because I could tell immediately he was not being honest. Delanie ... She's pretty good at hiding it. Trey isn't. So we had the discussion that if you want licorice, you have to ask and if you you don't ask, but eat it anyway ('I didn't ask because you would say no!") you have to be honest and tell me before you're over 300 so I can give you insulin for it. He ate just half a piece of licorice and he shot up quick. Hopefully a lesson learned for all of us and that sneaking stuff is few and far between.
No comments:
Post a Comment