Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Changes

So obviously I've changed up the page a little.  Time to move onto the Summer sport ... racing!!  No, no - Trey isn't hopping into any sort of car anytime soon (although he does want to drive a go-kart ... who wants to get that set up and be his crew chief?)

We had our 1 year visit with Dr Gupta on Monday.  Trey hasn't gained any weight - in fact he keeps dropping a pound every appointment, but he is growing tall so that's good.  Doc said his BMI is still where it should be so we won't worry about the weight at this time.  They sent us to up the lab for a blood draw where the only highlight for Trey was being able to watch the helicopter take off.  I'm certain he would've sat up there with Miss Alexis all day if she would've let him.  That is, as long as she didn't keep trying to draw HIS blood.  Wasn't a good deal.  I got the results from the lab yesterday and I wasn't very happy. His A1C went from 8.4 to 8.8.  Nurse Emily said they like the low 8's or even 7's but he is still down a lot from August when he was 10.3.  I was sure we would be lower than 8.4 and I'm so upset we aren't.  That means mom has work to do! 

Doctor Gupta just made a couple minor changes to Trey's insulin dosages.  Increased his basal slightly through the morning and then decreased his dinner food ratio by 5.  I'm not convinced these changes will be enough to get us down in a1C so I'm going to keep close tabs on what happens for the next couple months and make changes I feel necessary. 

I reached out to my MOD's group after getting the results.  Many different opinions of course, but they each gave me what I needed -- confidence that I know what I'm doing and I know how to care for my son.  I had one person tell me I'm not feeding him enough carbs but she quickly shut up when I told her 100 carbs a day was a substantial amount of carbs for a 6 year old boy.  I had another one tell me to find a new Endo.  Ummm .... our Endo is just fine!?  But again, 99% of them told me to do what I need to do based on what's best for my son so I'll do just that!  There will be more insulin changes coming!! 
/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
If you are a member of Trey's T1D Facebook page, you've been kept up to date better than the blog.  I typically blog only when I have enough material to fill a page or when I have something really bothering me that I need to get off my chest.  Also if you're following Trey's page, you've seen his videos he loves doing.  So many career choices if his NHL plans don't work out. Haha!  I just want to reiterate that I don't post our daily life and the struggles to gain any sympathy.  If you want to empathize with us - great, but please don't pity us. While it is a struggle most days, there is so much to be grateful for and the reason I want to post the good/bad/ugly is to educate people.  It's something I feel very passionate about.  Other families like to keep quiet about their life with diabetes and I respect that - however, I choose to talk about it, openly, and give my honest feedback to anyone that asks. If you know me, you know honest is my thing as well as not sugarcoating anything.  Not a fan of that.  I'm happy to add members to that page - just send them the link to the page - share it or have them search for it and I'll get them added.  There is probably some information on there that would help someone -- other than just pictures of Trey eating ice cream :)

Last, you can always plug in your email address at the top of this page and hit SUBMIT and any updates I post here will be emailed to you.  Some posts get 15 pageviews and some get 2.  Since I don't update it often - I suggest using that fun little feature :)

I'm out!
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment