Happy Valentines Day! I personally have always hated this holiday. I've often said, send me a dozen roses on a Tuesday in June and it will mean more than getting me a single thing on Valentine's Day.
Trey gave stickers instead of candy to his class today. Funny, it should be the other way around. Everyone give Trey stickers instead. Ha! There isn't a party in his class but they are allowed to eat some of their candy today, so his wonderful school nurse is keeping tabs on his intake and we've put a limit at 25 carbs and she will dose insulin to cover it. I'm beginning to hate holidays! Thankfully Trey is so good about having a few special treats and then foregoing the rest. I'm sure this won't always be the case, but so far it is.
Today is 11 months of this dreaded disease. I feel like we've come so far. I also feel defeated many times a month. I try to celebrate small victories - such as today when his low carb waffles didn't spike his sugars. We give high-fives when we get a dosage right for a food like pasta or pizza. We shed tears together when sugar is 300 and we feel frustrated together. We get angry when mom accidentally throws away the plunger to insert his new pump tube (yep .... I did.) but we then are thankful that Uncle Jeff has this damn disease too and we are able to use his plunger until ours arrives in the mail. $40 for that sucker ... Might as well have flushed $40 down the toilet when I accidentally threw it away. So mad at myself.
Next month marks 1 year. I don't know how I feel about it. My message board I am part of for mom's of diabetics suggests you celebrate it. They often treat it almost like a birthday -- buying gifts, having a good meal and even cake. Diaversary they call it. While it's not something I want to celebrate, (C'mon ... It was a terrible day) you celebrate a year of life. You survived the entire year with diabetes and that, truly, is a victory. Trey Bagwell's birthday is March 17th so I am going to see if we can possibly take him out for supper that week and we will celebrate both Trey's special days.
Just got a message -- 5 Hershey Kisses and a small sucker was Trey's treats of choice today. Now we watch Dexcom.
No comments:
Post a Comment