Friday, February 23, 2018

Who wants a job?

We are spoiled having Heather as our school nurse ... I'm well aware.  I have heard stories from others who don't have a good school nurse and all the extra stress that causes not only the parents, but the T1 child him/herself.  I don't take her for granted and I've expressed to her many times our gratitude and that she can never leave us. HaHa

This week her poor infant is sick ... like super sick.  He's in the hospital and they don't really know what's wrong.  All tests come back negative but he's basically having Influenza symptoms.  It breaks my heart for her and for the little guy as a sick child is never fun, but a sick, hospitalized infant is down-right awful. 

We have had a substitute nurse this week, obviously.  Unfortunately, it's the old hag that we've dealt with before who Trey really does not like.  Jordan and I try to keep Trey level headed about her and be sure he's respectful to her, even if he doesn't like her.  Last year his Kindergarten Teacher made some comments to Jordan and I about how this old hag isn't really very friendly and how she felt bad for Trey because he was so scared of her and nervous around her. 

We've dealt with her a few times this school year already, and every time Trey dreads it but he keeps an open mind.  Now, Trey handles much of his care himself.  He knows what time's he's supposed to check his sugar, he knows about how many carbs his snacks should be and basically the only need for the nurse is to administer insulin for him as I'm not ready for him to do that himself yet.  One day he told me, "She's not that bad I guess.  She talked to me about hockey a little bit." which made me feel good because I know that's something to make him comfortable. 

According to the 504 Plan I have typed up for the school, the nurse is to contact me with any questions.  Heather has it written for her Subs to contact me to let me know what the pre/post blood sugar is for meals and snacks and to work with me on the proper snack carb count.  Wednesday I heard from the old hag once ... at the end of the day.  Thursday I heard from the hag once ... at 2:45. 
(504 violation x2) You already saw the convo her and I had via the phone yesterday on the facebook page.  When Trey got home at 3:10 he came downstairs like always and said, "Mommy ... today Kathy was kinda mean again.  When I say she was mean, she just has a really bad mean voice.  I was at recess and then I had PE and I buzzed low when Mrs Falk was talking to our class. I told Kathy I was low and she said, 'Go back and listen to Mrs Falk. School is almost done.' so I did but I tried really hard not to cry because I felt low too and I buzzed." 

If you know me ... you know I had steam rolling out of my ears already after the phone convo with her but after talking to my son about it, I was showing those Devil Horns. 

You sent a child ... who was buzzing low ... back to his class without treating the low sugar because school was almost out???????? 504 Violation His sugar was 73 with an arrow kitty-korner down on the CGM.  He had 15 minutes of school left and a 10 minute bus ride home.  25 minutes ... dropping sugar and you didn't want to deal with him for 5 seconds to give him a damn juice box??? REALLY?

The reason she eventually called me was because the teacher saw my text message I sent to her 15 minutes prior to the phone call. 

I realize I am a protective parent.  I realize we are spoiled with Heather (again).  I realize I don't have the most patience in the world.  I realize Trey is my baby.  But what I don't understand is why in the hell this woman even agrees to substitute.  You have to give insulin MAYBE three times a day to a child via a pump.  THAT'S IT.  He does the rest on his own!!!  I have carb counts written down on everything that is in his snack bin and in his "Low Sugar Treatment" bin.  I have a note in his lunch box EVERY DAY with the amount of foods and the carb counts on it.  I can't make it any easier!! Yet she's so inconvenienced by him telling her he's low in the middle of a lecture by the Guidance Counselor to give him a juice box???? Furious.

So today, 9:08 I get a text message from the teacher at school that says, "Trey feels low.  80 finger poke.  Can he have a snack now or does he have to wait until 9:15? No nurse here yet." I tell her he can have 10-12 carbs now.  Then wrote back "Thanks. Nurse here now." followed with the eye-roll emoji face.  That's all I needed to know that the teacher wasn't impressed with this old hag either.  I sent it to Jordan who went to the school and talked to the teacher about what she's seen this week and what happened yesterday to be sure Trey wasn't just telling us a lie.  Nope ... Trey was right.  The teacher said she's not impressed with how this lady does it either and that she's not very friendly. She says Trey is very independent in his care and she can tell how nervous he is with the old hag. Yesterday once he asked the teacher to help him and to not tell the nurse.  She said she was surprised he went to the old hag yesterday afternoon when he was low because he tries to avoid her but he did what he has been told to do and she knew if he was willing to deal with her - he truly didn't feel well.

Got an alert of a 64 sugar after his lunch today.  She called me, "Trey came in from recess and told his teacher he didn't feel good but he didn't come and tell me.  She called me and he's having a juice box now that she gave him but what else do you want me to do."  I said to feed him whatever he picks up to 20 carbs.  She says, "oookkk then." and hangs up.  Ya know - I don't blame Trey at all.  Just talking to her for 34 seconds on the phone is enough to tell me what she's like in person.

We will be visiting with the Nurse Supervisor on Monday and inform her that this old hag will not be taking care of Trey again.  She has two months until official retirement but if she can't do her god damn job then I sure as hell won't make her.  It's MY job to be sure my kid is safe and taken care of, so I'll keep doing MY job. 


No comments:

Post a Comment