What a couple of weeks it's been. All the holiday parties at school, two birthday parties and Christmas ... it's been hard to keep blood sugars in range, but we did the best we could.
Due to the weather, we changed Christmas up a bit this year. We celebrated with the Westby's on Christmas Eve at the nursing home where Great Grandma Fern got her own hockey stick and Trey taught cousin Alex about hockey. Jordan received a call that afternoon that his grandpa (Papa) had passed away from cancer. Christmas Eve night we headed out to Aunt Jeff and Paula's for a Casanova gathering. Trey ate four bites of food and then played with his cousins. He made Uncle Jeff, who also has T1D, administer the insulin via his pump. Christmas morning the four of us opened gifts and then headed to my mom's in Groton for a quick Christmas lunch and celebration. Instead of heading south to Conde for the Thomas Christmas, we came back to Aberdeen and went over to Nan's house.
Trey didn't eat much at all for these two days. Even surrounded by sweets and candies, he did really well keeping sugars in check. We did splurge and have 2 peanut butter balls that spiked him to over 250 in a hurry but he did come down from it nicely.
We hit the Pizza Ranch on Monday in memory of Papa (his favorite place to eat ... My dad's also!). Plugged in 100 carbs for Trey. I almost cried. He had breadsticks and pizza and dessert pizza. I was so proud of him I when I told him "100 carbs buddy" and he said, "Are you going to dual wave me?" I smiled so huge and said, "yep ... I think that's a good idea." Grandma Karla and Grandpa Dan were lost when he asked. I love that Trey is understanding all the 'tricks' and knows when it should be used. I try to educate him the best I can, knowing sometimes the information I tell him won't stick, but he amazes me when he tosses it back to me. He got a lot of insulin for that meal, but he did come down thanks to dual wave.
My hope for 2017 is that I update this more. I don't know who reads it, but it's part therapy for me and part information for the readers on what diabetes does to our family. It's been a long, exhausting, tricky, hard, sad year for us, and to think that March will mark the 1 year anniversary of his diaganoses seems impossible. I look back and how far we have all come in our knowledge and how proud of Trey I am for everything he has been through and I smile. I thank God for the people diabetes has brought into our life, I thank God for the technology we have, I thank God for Trey's overall health and awareness to the disease. We are lucky, to be honest. Here is hoping 2017 furthers our education/knowledge, Trey continues to grow and educate others, and more life long connections are made and of course, we will keep praying for a cure.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment